Friday, April 15, 2011

"Full Force Galesburg"- The Mountain Goats

It was sprung on me
in that i forgot

That for someone else's spring break I was to road trip to Western Illinois.  Galesburg it a three hour journey from Chicago and well worth every mile (as long as you only plan to stay a day or two). Now that I'm so close to where I did the first four years of higher education I go about once a season and write for hours on end.  The first time I went back it struck me as odd how the body and pen seemed to remember where things had left off.  I believe now that there is a muscle memory for geographies.  In college I wrote short poems, with deeply  confusing images, far too many adjectives on subjects that breed in the realm of ideas.  It's no wonder that I spent those four years wondering why everyone kept asking me to "write more directly".  

 :)

I sent an e-mail to J'lyn last time I was there asking her opinion on this phenomenon.  She agrees that we write consistently in varying states.  I now have to take this into consideration as part of my profession, include gas to Galesburg or airline tickets to Boulder as tax writeoffs.

Sadly, aside from this blog and a few failed poems I have no voice for Chicago.  My body doesn't yet know how to write here. Perhaps it will know on the pier.

Knox Prairie Burn 2007

1 comment:

  1. Everything comes to me on the Pier...I hope it does the same for you my dear. love you madly...just don't walk out the door...=)

    ReplyDelete